● Crowned lemurs ● Fabulous views ● Rare plants ● Historical artefacts ● Help out with conservation work
The conservation project
The Oronjia Forest is one of 74 new protected areas that were designated by the Malagasy government in May 2015.
This site is being managed by Missouri Botanical Garden and Tsimoka Association whose site-based team work
with the local community to implement a range of activities that will enable the regeneration
of this forest and the conservation of its rich flora and fauna.
These activities include:
• community policing to control damaging activities;
• support for development activities to provide alternative sources of income for the local community
than the non-sustainable exploitation of natural resources;
• promotion of tourism;
• restoration of degraded forest;
• raising awareness among the local community about the importance of the forest and its biodiversity;
• and research to inform decision-making
For news about our work see the twitter account: @oronjia_park