● Crowned lemurs ● Fabulous views ● Rare plants ● Historical artefacts ● Help out with conservation work
The conservation project
The Oronjia Forest is one of 74 new protected areas that were designated by the Malagasy government in May 2015. .
This site is being managed by Missouri Botanical Garden and Tsimoka Association whose site-based team work
with the local community to implement a range of activities that will enable the regeneration of this forest and the conservation of its rich flora and fauna.
These activities include:
• community policing to control damaging activities;
• support for development activities to provide alternative sources of income for the local community
than the non-sustainable exploitation of natural resources;
• promotion of tourism;
• restoration of degraded forest;
• raising awareness among the local community about the importance of the forest and its biodiversity;
• and research to inform decision-making
For news about our work see the twitter account: @oronjia_park