REGION Atsimo Atsinanana | COMMUNE Matanga, Tsianofaha, Vohipaho | AREA 1562 | Project Start July 2007 | Protected areas IUCN Cat VI | Decree of creation: 2015 - 794
1 - 3
900 km or 2 days drive from Tana on national highway (RN7 then RN12). Typical trip: Day 1 - Tana - Manakara, Day 2 Manakara -Matanga, then 2-4 h walk to forest.
To conserve the last fragment of forest in Vangaindrano District complete with its rare and threatened flora and fauna while facilitating its use for education and sustainable exploitation
Low elevation humid forest on basalt
1) Very rare vegetation type
2) Last area remaining forest in district
3) Highly diverse flora with many locally endemic species
4) Six species of lemur including both Eulemur cincereiceps and Eulemur collaris
Exploited commercially for timber, forest used for shifting cultivation, birds and lemurs eaten, source of many streams.
1) Illigal Timber exploitation
2) Shifting cultivation
Mobile: 0 33 15 324 86
Copyright © 08.2015 | Andry RASAMUEL | All rights reserved
MISSOURI BOTANICAL GARDEN Madagascar